The location and the particular conformation of the territory dell'OltrePò over the centuries have created the preconditions
for the establishment of an "independent kingdom" .
Traces of Roman settlements in the current Casteggio , ancient Clastidium , evidenced by the ancient roots of our land.
In 1164 Emperor Frederick I , as opposed to the interference of Tortona and Piacenza , gave the town of Pavia the right
to appoint consuls, who settled in the lands roughly corresponding to the present province of Pavia , from the territories
sites beyond the Po River Is born The OltrePo'Pavese.
In the Middle Ages OltrePò becomes a land of passage for many travelers , merchants and travelers.The most famous Provençal
troubadours work at the court of the Malaspina Oramala gentlemen, that in those years became one of the reference points for
the spread of the themes of poetry inspired to "courtly love" .
In 1466 the lands beyond the River Po pass to the Sforza Family, then to the Bentivoglio and Del Caretto .
For a long time the territory is divided into fiefdoms dell'Oltrepò said Chambers .
To them the was a great opposition by the new estates in the hills and mountains, officially recognized by the Sforza denominated in a derogatory manner
by envious landowners "Terre Diverse", for the special status and privileges they enjoyed , the main were the marquis of
Fortunago , Godiasco , Varzi , Pregola and Bobbio.
In 1743 the OltrePò becomes dominion of Savoy and in 1770 Voghera gain the title of a royal city. In the short period of
the Napoleonic domination OltrePò is divided into two districts : Bobbio and Voghera , joined the French department of
Marengo and then to Genoa.
In 1859 , after the annexation of Lombardy to the House of Savoy, the two small districts were reunited to the territory
of Pavia. Meanwhile, in 1876, in Stradella the first accordion was invented by Mariano Dallapè and still preserved in
the museum of the accordion. In the same year Agostino De Pretis, a native of Mezzana Corti, becomes president of the
Council of Ministers.
Traces of the Middle Ages in OltrePò
In our OltrePò lurk many forgotten treasures .
On the rock of Montalino, primitive residential center of Stradella, is the Basilica of San Marcello of the twelfth century,
Lombard-Romanesque structure small, collection and increasingly in demand for weddings .
The Shrine of the Passion of Torricella Verzate , one of the oldest in Italy , stands out for its beautiful square surrounded
by fourteen chapels containing the statues of the way of the Cross .
The ancient village of Fortunago, one of the most beautiful villages in Italy together with Zavattarello (famous for its ancient castle),
hosts inside a parish church in the second half of Fifteen hundred .
In the woods of the Valley of Nice, in a beautiful panoramic position, stands the imposing tower of the fortress of Oramala,
the ancient home of the Malaspina family. There are many castles that dot the Oltrepò Pavese: Castello di San Gaudenzio,
the Fortress of Cigognola, the Fortress of Stradella, the imposing Castello di Montalto, the Castle and the Castle of Voghera
Montesegale which has a fresco of the Bramantino.
Among the buildings you can not forget that the Certosa di Casteggio Cantu and Palazzo Malaspina Godiasco .
Even the sacred architecture offers magnificent monuments, including churches remember the Red Church in Voghera,
the Romanesque church of the Capuchins in Varzi, the magnificent abbey of St. Albert of Butrio with an important cycle of
frescoes from the late fifteenth century, San Zaccaria Rocca Susella and many other churches .
Welcome to the Terre Diverse Dimensione OltrePò Pavese.